Our School Council consists of two representatives from each class. Each pupil is invited to write a manifesto if they wish to run for the School Council. Councillors are then voted for by their class.
The School Council meet with the Headteacher to discuss issues that affect us in school. We discuss things that our School Council would like to improve or change in our School and Community. We take responsibility that every child is heard.
Head Boy and Head Girl
St Mary’s has one Headboy and one Headgirl. They are chosen by our staff at the beginning of the school year and are chosen from our Year 6 pupils. The Headboy and Headgirl work with the Headteacher to market and improve the school.
In 2017-2018 our Headboy is Gabriel H and our Headgirl is Poppy R.
Please see below for the job description and person specification for Head boy/girl position:
Head Boy /Girl Job Description
Main purposes of the job
- To support the Headteacher and Senior Leadership Team in promoting and representing the school
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Represent the school at certain events
- Make speeches promoting the school
- Be ambassadors for the school, showing visitors around our school
- Lead and Chair the School Council Meetings
- Attend regular meetings with the Headteacher
- Listen to others’ and take on board their views
Head Boy /Girl Person Specification
- Experience of being an excellent role model for others
- Experience of talking to others confidently /or giving speeches
- Experience of leading a whole school fund raising event or competition
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Can support others in learning and following the school rules
- Understands right from wrong
- Ability to communicate to large groups confidently
- Ability to recognise and respond to others’ achievements
- Good listeners